Currently a full-time Lecturer of Public Administration, Department of Public Management, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York, Stephen Rolandi’s career spans public service, higher education and the independent sectors.
A native of Brooklyn, New York City, Steve served as Deputy Commissioner for Finance and Administration (2008-2013) for the New York State Division of Human Rights, the oldest civil rights agency in the USA. At DHR, Steve managed Human Resources, Finance, IT, Training and Facilities.
Steve served with the NYC Office of Management and Budget, City Planning Commission and Department of Records and Information Services (DORIS). At DORIS, he was appointed Assistant Commissioner by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and later promoted to Deputy Commissioner.
He was Director of Finance and Administration for CUNY’s Baruch College (SPA); Adjunct Lecturer at John Jay College; Budget Manager for AFS Intercultural Programs; Program Consultant, New-York Historical Society.
Steve holds BA and MPA degrees from New York University. He also studied law at Brooklyn Law School. Active in many civic and cultural endeavors, his ASPA service includes:
• Petition Candidate for ASPA National Vice President, 2015
• Current Section Memberships: ABFM; SPALR; Non-Profit; SIAM
• President, New York Metropolitan Chapter (twice);
• National Council Representative (currently, 4th term);
• Trustee, NeCOPA (since 2011);
• Chair/Vice Chair of: Capacity Steering Group; Chapter & Professional Development, and National and Regional Conference Steering Committees;
• Recipient, Donald Stone National Service to ASPA award;
• ASPA Representative to Institute of Public Administration of Canada (IPAC), 2000-2001;
• Recipient, Outstanding Volunteer and Luther H. Gulick Leadership in Public Service Awards, New York Metropolitan Chapter, ASPA;
Now residing in Larchmont, NY, Steve is also Treasurer of the Larchmont Historical Society. He was formerly Treasurer and currently Finance Committee Co-Chair for his residential cooperative Carlshire Tenants, Inc.
Steve is married to Pilar Gorordo, who recently retired as a career hospital administrator. Pilar graduated from Georgetown University and holds MA and MPA degrees from. Like Steve, she is a long-standing ASPA member.
Steve also served as President of the Public Administration Alumni Association of New York University’s Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service.
Present/past association affiliations:
• American Planning Association;
• No Labels
• League of Women Voters;
• Municipal Art Society of New York
• Brooklyn Historical Society;
• New-York Historical Society;
• NYU Alumni Association;
• Xaverian High School (Brooklyn, NY) Alumni Association
• Recipient “Good Guys Award,” Brooklyn Women’s Political Caucus (1999)